Wednesday 30 November 2016

Honesty, Honour and Hope


Let’s take a look at Psalm 142 and see how David faced his situation when he was in trouble and hiding in a cave!

I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy. 
I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way. In the path where I walk men have hidden a snare for me. Look to my right and see; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living." Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me. Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me.



There’s three things I want to briefly emphasise from this psalm.


David was honest with God
– he wasn’t afraid to pour out his complaint.
David was honouring to God
– he affirmed that God knew him and that He was his refuge and portion.
David was hopeful in God
– he saw a time when he would be rescued, set free and praise His God.

We can’t fix, heal or escape all of our bad situations.

Relationships do fall apart. Marriages fail. Children disappoint. Illnesses can debilitate. Jobs come to an end. Sometimes our deepest dreams seem forever unfulfilled. We get stuck in the cave. But it’s in those times, if we’re honest with God, we can find refuge and hope in Him.

He understands the storms of life.
He is the God of encouragement.
He is the God who never ceases to redeem all things.
He does some of his best work in our darkest moments. It was at one of those moments that God raises Jesus from the dead. And according to scripture the power he used to do that is the same power that is at work in us.

Challenge
During the coming days I suggest that you to meditate on this psalm and ask yourself these three questions.

1.   How honest am I being with God?
2.   Am I honouring Him in all situations?
3.   Am I placing my hope in Him?



Prayer
Dear Lord thank you that you are our refuge and our portion.
Thank you that you are a God who is faithful and never forgets his promises.
Thank you that when we were dead in sin you sent your Son to be our saviour to make us alive in Him.
Help us always to put our hope in you and give you honour and glory.

I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment