Sunday 10 March 2013

The Kingdom of Heaven is like...amazing!


“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. (Matthew 13:44-46)



Jesus told these parables nearly 2000 years ago and I read them for the first time about 33 years ago!
You see for the first 28 years of my life I wasn't a Christian. I never went to Sunday school or a Christian youth group or anything like that. In fact I had never ever been to a church Sunday service!
Oh yes I’d been to church – to some weddings. Actually 4 weddings and a funeral!

But I’d never ever been to an ordinary service.

And then one evening some people knocked on our door and invited us to go to church!

And amazingly - we went!



And what I found there was really very puzzling for me.

Something I’d never seen before.

Here was a group of people – quite a big group of people worshiping God. 

And I have to say – I didn't have a clue what was going on.

But we went again
and again

And then we were invited to go on a course about being a Christian. A bit like the Alpha course but it was during the service – like Sunday School for adults!

They explained to us all about the Christian faith – all about Jesus and how because of God’s amazing love for us he had died on the cross as a sacrifice taking the punishment that really should have been for me so that I might enjoy a relationship with God right NOW and throughout all eternity…In all my 28 years no one had ever done that before. No one had explained to me the good news, the gospel and what it means and how I had to make a decision.

This is the biggest and most important decision that you can make in your whole life. 

Actually my wife had explained it to me but I hadn't been listening properly!

However … I wasn't totally convinced. But they also said I should read the Bible. And I did! And I began to read Matthew's gospel.

And I got to Matthew chapter 13 - to these two parables. And by God’s grace – by the working of the Holy Spirit (although I didn't know it at the time) He revealed the meaning to me. 
I got it.
I got it.

Here is the Kingdom of Heaven and it’s so so valuable. 
So worthwhile.

For the man – the treasure in the field was so valuable that he sold everything he had so that he could buy the field. And he was full of joy.

For the merchant the one pearl was so amazing that he sold everything so that he could buy it.

So for me – I thought that if the kingdom of heaven is so worthwhile, so amazing, so valuable and here it was before me -so well explained to me during the classes that I’d been to - here was Jesus inviting me to be a part of it. 
I figured that I better do something about it. 

And so I prayed to Jesus – thanking him for what he had done for me. I told him that I was sorry for for my sins and living my life without him and that I wanted to follow him for the rest of my life - with him as my Lord and saviour.



Now you might be reading this saying yes that’s me as well I know exactly what he’s talking about. I too have found the treasure. I’m following Jesus as my Lord as well. And that’s great! Praise the Lord.


You might be reading this wondering what is he banging on about… Well I would encourage you search for the treasure. To pray and ask God to reveal himself to you - to read the bible.


Or you might be thinking – hmm – I’m beginning to get this and I think its might be for me.
You see Jesus didn't just die for one or two people he died for many – for me and for you. The bible says that God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
And it says that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. 
If that is you then I urge you to respond today. If you've never seen it this way before then please pray. Pray and ask Jesus to forgive you. Thank him and tell him you want him to be your Lord and saviour and to be with him forever.

If it’s you post some feedback to let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment