Monday 11 March 2013

Follow me


After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. “Follow me,” Jesus said to him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed him. (Luke 5:27-28)


Jesus went out and saw a tax collector named Levi and said follow me. It was truly outrageous.

Levi wasn’t looking for Jesus. He was in this tax booth going about his day to day business.

Jesus went out and found Levi!

Further on in Luke Jesus says that he came to SEEK and to save the lost.

Jesus went out and chose Levi – the lowest of the low.
He called him.

And calling is a consistent theme throughout the Bible. In the Old Testament and the New.

Jesus is calling Levi just as He calls to you and me, follow me He says.

‘Follow me,’ Jesus said to him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.

Jesus calls Levi, and Levi responds. He leaves his tax booth, his job, his money, his old life - and follows Jesus!

simple
               complete
                                   total
                                                obedience

And following is much more than just physically going with Jesus.

It’s about leaving the old lifestyle, it’s about repentance, it’s about entering into a covenant, a relationship with Jesus.

I wonder if there is someone reading this who Jesus is calling.

Jesus is reaching out - seeking you – calling you…. He says follow me. Leave your old life behind, repent, come with me - get new life – new born again life.

Maybe you’ve never heard Him say that before… maybe you have but you didn’t respond – you’ve put it off.

But today … today, is your day. It’s time – like Levi for simple obedience. Its time for you to respond – follow me says Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment